Today I ran my 4th Shamrock Shuffle! I haven’t been running much, given my knee and not keeping up with my PT exercises and the crummy weather. So, today was just for fun. A 5-mile warm-up to Michelob Ultra …

Since we don’t live too far from downtown, my husband offered to give me a ride to the start. Which was pretty great, since I was planning to ride a Divvy. I got to the race site at 7:30, just in time for the Chicago Running Blogger / Mikkellar Running Club meet-up.


Can you find Xaarlin, Eric, Lauren, Pete, Mo, Kelly, Zenaida and Emily?

Shortly after the pic, Kelly and I headed to the corrals. After getting through the porto lines, we tried to wait as long as we could until removing our layers and checking our bags. I brought a garbage bag to wear in the corrals and that helped keep me a little bit warmer. We also ran into Amanda and Judy in Corral B. The thing I love about the Shuffle is how many friends I always run into!


Kelly and I planned to run together and we had no goals. Neither of us has been running as much, so we just used this as an opportunity to “hang out” on the race course. I tried to use my new Timex GPS watch but apparently I did something wrong and noticed near mile 1 that it wasn’t tracking us. Just as well. I joked that today would be a personal worst … and it was!


I think the chilly temps resulted in fewer finishers – normally I think there are ~35,000 finishers? It was quite chilly and windy on the course. The wind was even blowing water out of my cup at one of the aid stations.

My knee did OK during the race, although I could tell if I went longer than 5 miles we might have problems. So, noted, get back into doing my PT exercises regularly.

Kelly and I finished together, grabbed snacks through the finishers chute – and new this year, medals!


We decided to stop and get our beers on the way to gear check, and by the time I finished my beer my fingers were getting pretty cold. Putting on my layers helped a little bit, although extra gloves would have been awesome. I brought my helmet so I could Divvy home, but that sounded unpleasant. However, I didn’t bring my Ventra card, and some of the roads were still closed due to the race, so I wasn’t sure if an Uber would be a good option. So, I ended up Divvying home anyway. That was a rough ride. I sort of warmed up, but the wind was brutal and my legs were tired. I think the 2+ mile bike ride was harder than the 4.97mi run.

Once I got home, I changed and drove over the Kaiser Tiger for a combined CRB/MRC brunch (and even got to meet some Redditors too). As predicted, the rain started around 11am – so glad it held off until after the race!

So, another successful Shuffle, although it was my slowest and coldest.