Yesterday morning I headed out to Schaumburg with my turkey so he could run the Turkey Trot Half Marathon.


The race was point-to-point, but since I wasn’t racing, we didn’t have to deal with the shuttle buses. We ended up taking 90W to get there, which may have been better? Seemed like everyone coming from 290 was in a long line of cars to turn right into the start area.

Anyway. I ran into some F’N Runners at the start!

Screen shot 2014-11-29 at 5.38.24 PM

I miss these guys and gals!

After the race started, I walked back to the car (~16 minutes … I only know because I started the stopwatch on my phone when I saw my husband start the race) and then drove over to a spectator spot just past mile 5, near the Elk Pasture.

IMG_5781.JPG IMG_5782.JPG

Left pic: Susan and Wayne pacing the … 2:15 group? Right pic, Amanda in the middle in the gray top.


Hot stuff coming through!!!!!!!

After El Esposo passed by me, I shed my layers and ran a few miles of my own. I spotted some elk, but they were too far into the pasture to get a good pic.

IMG_5797.JPG IMG_5796.JPG

Finally bought new shoes. Brooks Adrenaline 15. This is my … 5th pair of Adrenalines. At least. 

After my little yog (soft J) through the woods, I got back in the car and headed to the finish. I was glad I put all of my layers back on (plus my husband’s fleece) because while it was sunny and temps weren’t too bad (40s), it was windy.

Eventually, Mr. Handsom came in for the finish.


By then, the finish area was pretty sparse. Sadly, the only snacks left for runners were fruit snacks, so we grabbed some of those, and water, and headed back to the car.

Traffic getting back to the city wasn’t too bad, but when we were about a quarter mile from our exit, my husband started dry heaving, so I pulled over so he could properly vomit on the side of the road like an adult. Seems like Gatorade upsets his stomach. (He said it wasn’t the first time.) I suggested he try pretzels or something less HFCS-y next time.

As for the course itself, it was scenic and lovely, but he wasn’t a fan of the parts in the grass (which were muddy by the time he got to them). The finish was in the grass as well, and a little bit muddy. Not sure if he’d do this one again; but there is a dearth of fall half marathons in the Chicago area. (WHY??)